In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cowley like this:
COWLEY, a parish in Headington district, Oxfordshire: adjacent to the river Thames and the Oxford railway, 2¼ miles SSE of Oxford. Post town, Oxford. Acres, 940. Real property, £4, 227. Pop., 1, 404. Houses, 256. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £64. Patron, Christ Church, Oxford. The church was recently restored. The p. curacy of St. John, contiguous to Oxford, is a separate benefice; and a new church for it, in memory of Archbishop Langley, at a cost of about £17, 500, was proposed, in 1869, to be erected in the vicinity of Magdalen bridge. There are a Wesleyan chapel, the diocesan school, and two other public schools.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Cowley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Oxford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Cowley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cowley, in Oxford and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 06th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Cowley".