In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clanfield like this:
CLANFIELD, a parish in Witney district, Oxford; adjacent to the Thames, 4¼ miles N of Faringdon, and 7½ SW of Witney r. station. It has a post office under Faringdon. Acres, 1, 620. Real property, £3, 438. Pop., 547. Houses, 140. The property is subdivided. Radcot bridge over the Thames here was the scene of the Earl of Oxford's defeat in 1387. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £100. Patrons, J. Elliott and W. Aldworth, Esqs. The church is early English; and consists of nave, north aisle, chancel, and chantry, with west tower and south porch. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists. Charities, £5.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Clanfield has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Oxfordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Clanfield and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clanfield in West Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Clanfield".