In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chalgrove like this:
CHALGROVE, a village and a parish in Thame district, Oxford. The village stands on an affluent of the Thame, 5 miles SW of Tetsworth, and 5½ NNE of wallingford r. station; and has a post office under Tetsworth. The parish includes also the liberty of Rufford. Acres, 2,364. Real property, £3,747. Pop., 549. Houses, 124. A skirmish was fought on Chalgrove Field, in 1643, between the royalists under Prince Rupert and the parliamentarians. John Hampden at first mustered the Bucks militia on the same ground; and he led them in this skirmish, and received then his death wound. ...
A pillar to his memory, bearing a medallion portrait and an inscription, was erected on the spot in 1843. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Berwick-Salome, in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £600.* Patron, Christ Church, Oxford. The church is Norman; consists of nave, two aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains an octagonal font, and several fine monuments. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £97.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Chalgrove has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Oxfordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Chalgrove and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chalgrove in South Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th June 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Chalgrove".