In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wonastow like this:
WONASTOW, a parish in the district and county of Monmouth; 2 miles SW by W of Monmouth r. station. Post town, Monmouth. Acres, 1,599. Real property, £1,567. Pop., 150. Houses, 31. W. Court was formerly the seat of the Herberts; is now the seat of Sir W. Pilkington, Bart.; and was built in the time of Henry VI. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £95.* Patron, Sir W. Pilkington, Bart. The church is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Wonastow has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Monmouthshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Wonastow and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wonastow in Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th October 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Wonastow".