In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wiston like this:
WISTON, a small town and a parish in Haverfordwest district, Pembroke. The town stands 2¼ miles SSE of Clarbeston-Road r. station, and 5½ NE of Haverfordwest; was originally called Gwyston or Gwiston; took that name from a castle, built by Sir P. Gwys, the Norman; was attacked by the Welsh in 1146 and 1193; passed to Gwgan-aap-Bleddyn and to the Wogans; is a borough, governed nominally by a mayor; unites with Pembroke, Milford, and Tenby, in sending a member to parliament; and has a post-office under Narberth, and a fair on 8 Nov. Acres of the borough, 7,030. Real property, £3,374. Pop., 713. Houses, 144.The parish is conterminate with the borough. The manor belongs to the Earl of Cawdor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. Davids. Value, £164. Patron, the Earl of Cawdor. The church was restored in 1865.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Wiston has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Pembrokeshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Wiston and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wiston in Pembrokeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Wiston".