In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Middleton like this:
MIDDLETON, a township in Belford parish, Northumberland; 1¼ mile NNW of Belford. Pop., 112. Houses, 19.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Middleton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Berwick upon Tweed. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Middleton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Middleton, in Berwick upon Tweed and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th January 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Middleton".