In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Meldon like this:
MELDON, a parish in Morpeth district, Northumberland; on the Wansbeck river and the Wansbeck Valley railway, 6 miles W by S of Morpeth. It has a station on the railway; and its Post town is Morpeth. Acres, 993. Real property, £.2,548. Pop., 144. Houses, 27. The manor, with Meldon Park, belongs to John Cookson, Esq. Meldon Tower existed in the time of Henry VI.; was the seat of the Fenwicks; is associated, in curious local tradition, with Meg o' Meldon, mother of Sir W. Fenwick in the 17th century; and has completely disappeared. Meldon Water-mill is said to have been a momentary resting-point of Oliver Cromwell in 1651. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value, £288.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham.,he church was restored by Dr. Raine, the antiquary,.w ho was rector.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Meldon has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Castle Morpeth. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Meldon and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Meldon, in Castle Morpeth and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Meldon".