In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whitson like this:
WITSON, or Whitson, a parish in Newport district, Monmouth; 2¾ miles SSE of Llanwern r. station, and 5½ SE of Newport. It has a post-office under Newport, Monmouth. Acres, 1,073. Real property, £2,326. Pop., 85. Houses, 16. W. House is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £180.* Patron, alternately the Chapter of Llandaff and Eton College. The church is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Whitson has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Newport. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Whitson and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whitson, in Newport and Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 12th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Whitson".