In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whitford like this:
WHITFORD, a parish and a sub-district in Holywell district, Flint. The parish lies 2 miles SW of Mostyn r. station, and 3 NW of Holywell; extends to the estuary of the Dee; contains 8 townships; and has a post-office under Holywell. Acres, 13,065; of which 5,210 are water. Real property, £21,270; of which £9,337 are in mines, and £161 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 3,884; in 1861, 3,666. Houses, 795. Mostyn Hall is the seat of Lord Mostyn; Downing is a seat of the Earl of Denbigh; Downing Ucha is the seat of the Griffiths; and Bychton was the seat of the Pennants. ...
Coal is worked both inland and under the sea; and limestone, freestone, chert, and ores of lead, and zinc are found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £382.* Patron, the Bishop of St. A. The church is good; the vicarages of Mostyn and Gorsedd are separate benefices; and there are several dissenting chapels, and charities £136. -The sub-district contains 5 parishes. Acres, 28,302. Pop., 8,043. Houses, 1,792.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Whitford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Flintshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Whitford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whitford in Flintshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 02nd October 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Whitford".