In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wolston like this:
WOLSTON, a village and a parish in Rugby district, Warwick. The village stands on the river Avon, near Br and on r. station, 6 miles W of Rugby; and has a post-office‡ under Coventry. The parish includes Brandon and Bretford townships, and comprises 2,770 acres. Real property, £6,442. Pop., 1,263. Houses, 284. The manor, with W. House , belongs to the Wilcox family. W.-Heath Cottage is occupied by Gen. Valiant. An alien priory, a cell to Dinan in Norm and y, was founded here after the Norman conquest; was given, by Richard II., to Coventry priory; and is now a farmhouse. ...
Brandon manor, with B. Lodge, belongs to J. Beech, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £500. Patrons, the Trustees of the late W. Wilcox, Esq. The church is ancient and cruciform, and was repaired in 1860. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and charities £34.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Wolston has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Rugby. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Wolston and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wolston, in Rugby and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th April 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Wolston".