In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lanton like this:
LANTON, a township in Kirk-Newton parish, Northumberland; on the river Glen, 4¼ miles NW of Wooler. Acres, 983. Pop., 74. Houses, 16. Lanton Hill is crowned by a monument, erected by the late Sir W. Davidson, to his brother Capt. Davidson, and to himself.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Lanton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Berwick upon Tweed. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Lanton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lanton, in Berwick upon Tweed and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Lanton".