In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kenton like this:
KENTON, a township in Gosforth parish, Northumberland; on the Northeastern railway, 3 miles NNE of Newcastle-on-Tyne. It contains the hamlets of BankTop and Blacklaw; and has a post office under Newcastle, and an endowed national school. Acres, 1, 436. Pop., 658. Houses, 157. Coal and building stone were formerly worked.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Kenton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Newcastle upon Tyne. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Kenton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kenton, in Newcastle upon Tyne and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Kenton".