In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ilderton like this:
ILDERTON, a township and a parish in Glendale district, Northumberland. The township lies under the Cheviots, 5 miles SSE of Wooler, and 12½ NW by W of Alnwick r. station. Pop., 124. Houses, 22. The parish contains also the townships of Roseden, Roddam, Middleton Hall, North Middleton, and South Middleton. Post town, Wooler, under Alnwick. Acres, 9, 670. Real property, £7, 820. Pop., 571. Houses, 102. The property is divided among a few. The manor anciently belonged to the Ildertons. Much of the surface is upland. Hedgehope mountain has an altitude of 2, 347 feet. A Druidical circle of 10 stones is under Hedgehope; and an ancient camp is on Roseden Edge. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value, £150.* Patron, the Duke of Northumberland. The church is modern, and has a tower, part of which is ancient.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ilderton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Berwick upon Tweed. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ilderton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ilderton, in Berwick upon Tweed and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th July 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ilderton".