In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Horton like this:
HORTON, a township and a parish in Tynemouth district, Northumberland. The township lies on the river Blyth, 2 miles WNW of Newsham r. station, and 3 WSW of Blyth. Acres, 2, 365; of which 190 are water. Pop., 368. Houses, 82. The parish contains also the townships of East Hartford, West Hartford, Bebside, and Cowpen; the last of which has a head post office, designated Cowpen, Northumberland. Acres, 5, 550. Real property, £43, 563; of which £30, 000 are in mines and £100 in quarries. ...
Pop. in 1851, 4, 449; in 1861, 6, 787. Houses, 1, 349. The increase of pop. was caused by the extension of collieries. The property is not much divided. An old castle of the Delavals stood here: and the ruins of it were destroyed in 1809. Coal is very extensively worked. The parish originally formed part of Woodhorn, and afterwards became a parochial chapelry. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £150. Patron, the Vicar of Woodhorn. The church was rebuilt in 1827, and has a tower. There are chapels for Presbyterians, Independents, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Roman Catholics. There is also a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Horton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Blyth Valley. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Horton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Horton, in Blyth Valley and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Horton".