In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Newbury like this:
Newbury, mun. bor., market town, and par., Berk, on river Kennet, 17 miles SW. of Reading and 53 miles SW. of London by rail-par., 1242 ac., pop. 7017; bor., 1813 ac., pop. 10,144; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-day, Thursday. It is affirmed that Newbury rose upon the ruins of the Roman Spinf, which bequeathed its name to the hamlet of Speen, close by. The town was incorporated by Queen Elizabeth. During the Civil War 2 battles were fought in the vicinity, both resulting in victory for the Royalists. Agricultural produce supports the bulk of the town's trade; while maltings and corn mills employ a number of the inhabitants. Most of the traffic in goods is carried upon the Kennet and Avon Canal.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Newbury has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Berkshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Newbury and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newbury in West Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 08th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Newbury".