Place:


Clacton  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clacton like this:

CLACTON (Great), a parish in Tendring district, Essex; on the coast, 9 miles SE by E of Wivenhoe r. station, and 13 SE of Colchester. It has a post office under Colchester, and a fair on 29 June. Acres, 4, 280; of which 235 are water. Real property, £7, 405. Pop., 1, 280. Houses, 284. The property is much subdivided. ...


Clacton Wash is a coast-guard station; and Clacton Cliff has a signal-house and martello towers. The living is a vicarage, united with Little Holland, in the dio. of Rochester. Value, £307.* Patron, F. Nassau, Esq. The church is good. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a n. school.

Clacton through time

Clacton is now part of Tendring district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tendring has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clacton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clacton, in Tendring and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/925

Date accessed: 17th January 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clacton ".