In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Maxstoke like this:
MAXSTOKE, a parish, with a village, in Meriden district, Warwick; on the river Blythe, adjacent to the Hampton and Whitacre link of the Midland railway, 2¾ miles SE of Coleshill. Post town, Coleshill, under Birmingham. Acres, 2,701. Real property, £3,791. Pop., 322. Houses, 62. The property is divided among a few. ...
The manor of the Castle belongs to F. Dilke, Esq.; and that of the Priory belongs to Lord Leigh. Maxstoke Castle was built, in the time of Edward III., by William, Earl of Huntingdon; has a quadrangular form, with a hexagonal embattled tower at each angle; is surrounded by a moat; continues to be in good repair; forms an interesting specimen of the architecture of its period; belonged to successively the Staffords, the Comptons, and the Egertons; and is now the residence ofF. Dilke, Esq. An Augustinian priory was founded near the churchyard,about the same time as the castle, by William, Earl of Huntingdon; stood on a spot now occupied by a farmhouse; and is still represented by ruins of a fine gateway, and by the tower of the church. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £100. * Patron, Lord Leigh. The church is tolerable. There are an endowed national school with £30 a year, and charities ££5.
Maxstoke is now part of North Warwickshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Warwickshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Maxstoke itself, go to Units and Statistics.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Maxstoke in North Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th March 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Maxstoke ".