In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hallington like this:
HALLINGTON, a township in St. John Lee parish, Northumberland; near the R man wall, 8 miles NNE of Hexham. Pop., 109. Houses, 20. This place was anciently called Halydon; it disputes with St. Oswald's being the Hefen-felth or Heaven-field of Bede, so called from a famous battle Won by King Oswald in 675; it belonged anciently to Hexham priory; and it had a beacon tower at a curious hill called Hangingshaws.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hallington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Tynedale. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hallington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hallington, in Tynedale and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hallington".