Place:


Marton  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Marton like this:

MARTON, a village and a parish in Rugby district, Warwick. The village stands at the confluence of the rivers Itchin and Leam, ¾ of a mile S of the Fosse way, 1 mile N of the Leamington and Rugby railway, and 6 ENE of Leamington; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Rugby. ...


The parish comprises 910 acres. Real property, £2,525. Pop. in 1851,373; in 1861,410. Houses, 87. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Sir T. Biddulph, Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £175. Patron, the Rev. B. B. Hulbert. The church is ancient, but out of repair; and consists of nave and chancel, with a tower. There are a national school, and charities £14.

Marton through time

Marton is now part of Rugby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rugby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Marton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Marton, in Rugby and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9202

Date accessed: 20th November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Marton ".