In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Perry Barr like this:
PERRY-BARR, a hamlet and a chapelry in Handsworth parish, Staffford. The hamlet lies on Icknield-street, the Liverpool canal, and the Northwestern and South Staffordshire railways, adjacent to Warwickshire, 2½ miles N of Birmingham; and has stations on the railways. The chapelry contains also the hamlet of Perry, which has a post-office under Birmingham. Real property, £8, 146. Pop. in 1851, 832; in 1861, 1,061. Houses, 176. Perry Hall was rebuilt by the Hon. F. Gough, in the Tudor style; and contains the manuscripts of W. Gough, uncle to Gough the antiquary. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £200.* Patron, Lord Calthorpe. The church was built in 1833, at a cost of £10,000; and is a fine cruciformstructure, with a tower. Oscott college is here.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Perry Barr has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Birmingham. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Perry Barr and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Perry Barr, in Birmingham and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Perry Barr".