In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ilmington like this:
ILMINGTON, a village in Warwickshire, and a parish partly also in Gloucestershire, all in the district of Shipston-on-Stour. The village stands 4 miles NW of Shipston-on-Stour, and 4½ NE of Campden r. station; and has a post office‡ under Shipston-on-Stour. The parish contains also the hamlets of Lark-Stoke, Compton-Scorpion, and Foxcote. Acres, 4, 000. Real property, of the W. portion, £5, 113; of the G. portion, £875. Pop. of the W. portion, 979; of the G. portion, 21. ...
Houses, 217 and 3. The property is much subdivided. Foxcote House is a chief residence. A strong chalybeate spring, formerly in considerable repute, is about ¼ of a mile from the village. The winding of silk, for mills at Campden and Blockley, is carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £760.* Patron, the Rev. J.Young. The church is ancient, in mixed architecture; and was repaired in 1859. There are a Roman Catholic chapel, a national school, and charities £58.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ilmington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Stratford on Avon. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ilmington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ilmington, in Stratford on Avon and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ilmington".