In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ambrosden like this:
AMBROSDEN, a village and a parish in Bicester district, Oxford. The village stands near the river Ray, adjacent to the Oxford and Bletchley railway, 2½ miles SE by S of Bicester. Its name is supposed to have been derived from Ambrosins Aurelins, the British Merlin, who encamped here during the siege of Alcester by the Saxons. Ambrosden Park, adjacent on the NW, was the seat of the late Sir G. Page Turner, Bart. The parish includes also the hamlets of Blackthorn and Arncott. Post Town, Bicester. Acres, 4,865. Real property, £4,248. Pop., 871. Houses, 210. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £228.* Patrons, the trustees of the late Sir G. P. Turner. The church is decorated early English. Charities, £40. Bishop Kennet, the author of "Parochial Antiquities," was for some time vicar.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ambrosden has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Cherwell. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ambrosden and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ambrosden, in Cherwell and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ambrosden".