In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kidsgrove like this:
KIDSGROVE, a village in Wolstanton parish, and a chapelry partly also in Audley parish, Stafford.. The village stands near the Grand Trunk canal, the junction of the Crewe, Stoke, and Uttoxeter railway with the North Stafford line to Macclesfield, and near the boundary with Cheshire, 7 miles NNW of Stoke-upon-Trent; and has a station with telegraph at the railway junction, and a post office‡ under Stoke-upon-Trent. The chapelry was constituted in 1852. Pop. in 1861, 3, 697. Houses, 691. Pop. of the Wolstanton portion, 3, 380. Houses, 633. The inhabitants are employed chiefly in the manufacture of bar iron and in mining. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £280.* Patron, Mrs. Kinnersly. The church is modern.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Kidsgrove has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Newcastle under Lyme. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Kidsgrove and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kidsgrove, in Newcastle under Lyme and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 04th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Kidsgrove".