In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Edlingham like this:
EDLINGHAM, a township and a parish in Alnwick district Northumberland. The township lies near Avdon forest, 6 miles SE of Alnwick town and r. station; and has a post office under Alnwick. Acres, 5, 636. Pop., 133. Houses, 29. The parish contains also the townships of Abberwick, Lemmington, Learchild, Broom-Park, and Bolton. Acres, 12, 348. Real property, £7, 029. Pop., 676. Houses, 129. The property is divided among a few. A castle of the Swinbornes stood here, and some ruins of it still exist. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Bolton, in the diocese of Durham. Value, 483.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Edlingham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Alnwick. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Edlingham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Edlingham, in Alnwick and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Edlingham".