In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Wittering like this:
WITTERING (West), a parish, with a village, in Westhampnett district, Sussex; on the coast, 5½ miles SSW of Bosham r. station. It has a post-office under Chichester. Acres, 3,615; of which 1,245 are water-Real property, £4,550. Pop., 616. Houses, 136. Cakeham is the seat of J. Gorham, Esq. A palace of the Bishops of Chichester once stood here; and a lofty brick hexagonal tower connected with it, and built in the early part of the 16th century, still stands. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £172. Patron, the Bishop ofThe church is ancient. There are a national school, and charities £11.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing West Wittering has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Chichester. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering West Wittering and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Wittering, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "West Wittering".