In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whatlington like this:
WHATLINGTON, a parish in Battle district, Sussex; 2 miles N by E of Battle r. station. It has a post-office under Battle. Acres, 1,255. Real property, £1,438. Pop., 343. Houses, 69. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £160. Patron, the Countess of Plymouth. The church is not good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Whatlington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Rother. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Whatlington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whatlington, in Rother and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 08th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Whatlington".