In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stopham like this:
STOPHAM, a parish in Thakeham district, Sussex; on the river Arun, 1 mile W of Pulborough r. station. Post town, Petworth. Acres, 876. Real property, £1,197. Pop., 130. Houses, 19. The manor, with S. House, belongs to G. Bartelot, Esq. S. Bridge, over the Arun, is a seven-arched structure of 1309. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £150.* Patron, G. Bartelot, Esq. The church is partly Norman, partly decorated English. There is a parochial school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Stopham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Chichester. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Stopham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stopham, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th April 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stopham".