In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Slaugham like this:
SLAUGHAM, a parish in Cuckfield district, Sussex; 3¾ miles WSW of Balcombe r. station, and 3¾ NW of Cuckfield. It is cut into the sections of Handcross, Pease-Pottage, Warningfield, and Slaugham; and it has a post-office,‡ of the name of Handcross, under Crawley, and a fair on Easter Tuesday. Acres, 5,363. Real property, £6,009. Pop. in 1851, 1,418; in 1861, 1,518. Houses, 289. The property is much subdivided. S. Park, S. Hall, Dencombe, Ashfold, Woodside, Colwood, Hyde, Broadfield, High Beeches, Slate House, and Handcross House are chief residences. ...
Ruins of a quondam splendid mansion of the Coverts occupy about 3 acres, and include several Norman arches. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £460.* Patron, W. Sergison, Esq. The church is decorated English, and was recently restored. There are a Baptist chapel and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Slaugham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Mid Sussex. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Slaugham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Slaugham in Mid Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Slaugham".