In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shipley like this:
SHIPLEY, a village and a parish in Horsham district, Sussex. The village stands 3 miles WNW of West Grimstead r. station, and 6 SSW of Horsham; and has a post-office under Horsham. The parish includes part of South water chapelry, and comprises 7,698 acres. Real property, £6,588. Pop., 1,212. Houses, 223. The property is subdivided. The manor, with Knepp Castle, belongs to Sir P. Burrell, Bart. An old castle, the seat of the Braose family, was here; but is reduced to a remnant of the keep. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £174.* Patron, the Hon-Mrs. V. Harcourt. The church is mainly Norman, ana has a central tower. There are a boys' endowed school with £40 a year, and a girls' school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Shipley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Horsham. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Shipley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shipley, in Horsham and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th May 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Shipley".