In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Exhall like this:
EXHALL, a parish in Foleshill district, Warwick; on Beach brook, near the Coventry canal, and adjacent to the Coventry and Nuneaton railway, 4¼ miles N by E of Coventry. It has a station, jointly with Longford, on the railway; and it contains the Foleshill workhouse. Post town, Longford, under Coventry. Acres, 1, 990. Real property, £5, 479; of which £500 are in mines. Pop., 964. Houses, 233. The property is divided among a few. Exhall House is a chief residence. Many of the inhabitants are weavers. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £143.* Patrons, Lord and Lady Guernsey. The church was repaired and enlarged in 1842. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel and a small charity school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Exhall has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Nuneaton and Bedworth. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Exhall and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Exhall, in Nuneaton and Bedworth and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th November 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Exhall".