In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Coupland like this:
COPELAND-CASTLE, an old seat in the north of Northumberland; on the river Glen, 4¼ miles NW of Wooler. It succeeded an older seat, which belonged to John de Copeland who took David II. prisoner; and it was built, in 1614, by the Wallaces; and passed to the Ogles.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Coupland has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Berwick upon Tweed. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Coupland and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Coupland, in Berwick upon Tweed and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Coupland".