In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Playden like this:
PLAYDEN, a parish in Rye district, Sussex; on the river Rother, at the junction of the Military canal, ¾ of a mile N of Rye r. station. Post-town, Rye. Acres, 1, 308. Real property, £3, 499. Pop., 305. Houses, 66. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of East Guild ford, in the diocese of Chichester. The church is early English, withsome Norman fragments. There are an hospital, and charities £5.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Playden has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Rother. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Playden and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Playden, in Rother and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Playden".