In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Penhurst like this:
PENHURST, a parish in Battle district, Sussex; 3¾ miles W by N of Battle r. station. Post-town, Battle. Acres, 1, 462. Real property, £848. Pop., 105. Houses, 19. The property belongs to the Earl of Ashburnham. The living is a rectory, annexed to the vicarage of Ashburnham, in the diocese of Chichester. The church is early English, and has a small tower.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Penhurst has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Rother. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Penhurst and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Penhurst, in Rother and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Penhurst".