In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Malden like this:
MALDEN, a village and a parish in kingdom district Surrey. The village stands on Hogs-Mill river, near the Leatherhead branch of the Southwestern railway, 3 miles SE of Kingston-on-Thames; and has a post office under Kingston, and a station, called Worcester Park Station, jointly with Coombe, on the railway. The parish comprises 1,272 acres. Real property, £1,986. Pop., 320. Houses, 59. The property is divided among a few. A college, afterwards removed to Oxford as Merton college, was founded here in 1264, by Walter de Merton, Bishop of Rochester. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Chessington, in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £417.* Patron, Merton College, Oxford. The church was partly rebuilt in 1610; retains portions of earlier dates; comprises nave and chancel, with W toWer; and a N aisle, added in 1866.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Malden has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Kingston upon Thames. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Malden and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Malden, in Kingston upon Thames and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Malden".