In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oving like this:
OVING, a village and a parish in Westhampnett district, Sussex. The village stands near the South Coast railway, ¾ of a mile N E by E of Drayton r. station, and 2½ E of Chichester; and has a post-office under Chichester. The parish contains the tythings of Colworth and Portfield, and comprises 2, 946 acres. Real property, £7, 472. Pop. in 1851, 876; in 1861, 949. Houses, 206. Shopwyke House, a beautiful mansion, belongs to the Rev. G. H. Woods. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £352.* Patron, the Bishop of Chichester. The church is early English; was restored in 1841; and consists of nave and transepts, with E tower and spire.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Oving has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Chichester. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Oving and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oving, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 12th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Oving".