In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bywell like this:
BYWELL-ST. PETER, a township and a parish in Hexham district, Northumberland. The township includes part of Bywell village. Pop., 94. Houses, 20. The parish includes also the townships of Whittonstall, Newlands, Espershields, Healy, High Fortherley, Broomley, Apperley, Stelling, Newton, and Newton Hall; extends southward to the river Derwent at the boundary with Durham; and is nearly 8 miles long and 5 miles broad. Post Town, Stocksfield, Northumberland. Acres. 17,784. Real property, £9,296. Pop., 1,574. Houses, 288. The property is divided among a few. Much of the land in the south is high and poor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £300. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church has a square tower, and is good. The p. curacy of Whittonstall is a separate charge.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bywell has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Tynedale. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bywell and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bywell, in Tynedale and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bywell".