In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Byker like this:
BYKER, a township, two chapelries, and a subdistrict in Newcastle-upon-Tyne district, Northumberland. The township lies on the river Tyne, near the line of the Roman wall, 1¼ mile E of Newcastle-upon-Tyne; and it has a post office, of the name of Byker Hill, under Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Acres, 687; of which 58 are water. Pop., 7,663. Houses, 1,046. The inhabitants are employed variously in potteries, glass-works, quarries, collieries, and other manufactories and works. The chapelries are B., constituted in 1844, and B.-St. ...
Anthony, constituted in 1868; and are in the parish of All Saints. Pop., 10,388. Houses, 1,359. The livings are vicarages in the diocese of Durham. Value, £300 and £170. Patron of B., alternately the Crown and the Bishop; of B.-St. A., Lady James. B. church was built in 1862, at a cost of £2,500; and is in the decorated English style. There is a Wesleyan chapel.-The subdistrict contains three townships and two parishes. Pop., 12,994. Houses, 1,817.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Byker has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Newcastle upon Tyne. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Byker and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Byker, in Newcastle upon Tyne and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 07th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Byker".