In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Haverfordwest like this:
Haverfordwest, parl. and mun. bor., river port, co. town of Pembrokeshire, and co. of itself, on river West Cleddaw, 10 miles NE. of Milford by rail and 275 NW. of London, 1430 ac., pop. 6398; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks. Market-day, Saturday. The Welsh name of the town is Hwlffordd. It was formerly walled and fortified, and has ruins of a priory erected or endowed in the 12th century. The Flemings settled here in 1105. Paper-making is the principal industry. Coal and agricultural produce are exported. The Haverford-west Boroughs (Haverfordwest, Fishguard, and Narberth), since 1885, form part of the Pembroke Boroughs, which return 1 member to Parliament.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Haverfordwest has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Pembrokeshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Haverfordwest and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Haverfordwest in Pembrokeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 07th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Haverfordwest".