Place:


Sully  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sully like this:

SULLY, a parish in Cardiff district, Glamorgan; on the coast, 6 miles SSW of Cardiff r. station. It has a post-office under Cardiff. Acres, 2,167; of which 810 are water. Real property, £1,856. Pop., 192. Houses, 36. The manor was given by Fitzhammon to Sir R. de Sully. S. House is the seat of Sir J. B. Guest, Bart. An islet, called Sully island, lies off the coast, and has an ancient small camp. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £250.* Patron, Sir J. B. Guest, Bart. The church has been much modernized.

Sully through time

Sully is now part of The Vale of Glamorgan district. Click here for graphs and data of how The Vale of Glamorgan has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sully itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sully in The Vale of Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8830

Date accessed: 13th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sully ".