In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Cardiff like this:
Cardiff, mun. and parl. bor., seaport, and co. town of Glamorgan, at the mouth of the river Taff and on the estuary of the Severn 29 miles W. of Bristol by water and 170 miles W. of London by rail -- parliamentary and municipal borough, pop. 82,761; 4 Banks, 5 newspapers. Market-days, Wednesday and Saturday. In 1801 the pop. was only 1018; in 1841 it was 10,077; and 59,494 in 1871. The rapid prosperity of the town is due to the abundance of minerals in the district. Its exports of coal and iron from the valleys of Taff, Rhymney, &c., are among the most important in the kingdom. ...
(For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) The docks have become very extensive, and a tidal harbour and low-water pier have been constructed. There are also very large iron foundries, tin-plate works, and iron-shipbuilding yards. The South Wales University College was opened at C. in 1883. The bor. unites with Cowbridge and Llantrisaint in returning 1 member to Parl. Cardiff Castle, originally founded in 1080, is the property of the Marquis of Bute, who has converted part of it into a modern seat. On the pier-head, Bute Dock, is a lighthouse, with fixed light (Cardiff) seen 10 miles.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Cardiff has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Cardiff. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Cardiff and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cardiff in Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Cardiff".