In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Nicholas like this:
NICHOLAS (St.), a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Cardiff district, Glamorgan. The village stands1½ mile S S E of Peterston r. station, and 6 W by S of Cardiff; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a post-office under Cardiff, and fairs on 19 May, 21 Aug., and 17 Dec. The parish comprises 2, 104 acres. Real property, £2, 374. Pop., 354. Houses, 76. The property is divided among three. Dyffryn House is the seat of J. B. Pryce, Esq., and Cottrell, a name probably corrupted from Coed-yr-Haul, is the seat of Lady Tyler, widow of Admiral Sir George Tyler. ...
A very large cromlech, with a copestone 24 feet by 17, and a chamber about 14 feet long, 15 feet wide, and 6 feet high, is near the village; another, not so interesting, is close to Dyffryn House; and there are traces of other Druidical remains. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £275.* Patron, J. B. Pryce, Esq. The church is ancient.The sub-district contains also fifteen other parishes, and two extra-parochial tracts. Acres, 30, 865. Pop., 4, 705. Houses, 941.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing St Nicholas has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of The Vale of Glamorgan. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering St Nicholas and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Nicholas in The Vale of Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "St Nicholas".