In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Arnold like this:
ARNOLD, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in the district of Basford, Notts. The village stands near Sherwood forest, 2½ miles ENE of Bulwell r. station, and 5½ N by E of Nottingham. It has a post office‡ under Nottingham. Its inhabitants are employed chiefly in lace and stocking making. The parish includes also part of Daybrook hamlet and the seats of Arnold Grove and Sherwood Lodge. Acres, 4,570. Real property, £12,059. Pop., 4,642. Houses, 971. The property is much sub-divided. ...
The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £310.* Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church is later English, and has a tower. There are chapels for Sc. Presbyterians, Baptists, Wesleyans and P. Methodists. A school has £23 from endowment, and other charities £10. R. Bonington the painter, born in 1801, was a native.-The subdistrict comprises six parishes and an extra-parochial liberty. Acres, 18,540. Pop., 8,378. Houses, 1,779.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Arnold has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Gedling. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Arnold and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Arnold, in Gedling and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th February 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Arnold".