In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bedwellty like this:
BEDWELTY, or Bydwelty, a village, a subdistrict, and a parish in Abergavenny district, Monmouth. The village stands between the Rhymney and the Sirhowey rivers, near the Rhymney railway, not far from Bargoed station, 7½ miles W by S of Pontypool; it has a post office under Newport-Monmouth, and fairs on 15 April, 3 July, and 7 Oct.; and is a polling-place.-The subdistrict bears the name of Rock-Bedwelty; and is con terminate with Ishlawrcoed hamlet. ...
Pop., 2,962. Houses, 584.The parish includes also Tredegar subdistrict, comprising the hamlets of Uchlawrcoed and Manmoel; extends many miles along the Rhymney and Sirhowey rivers and the Rhymney and Western Valleys railways; and contains the populous iron-work towns of Tredegar, Ebbwvale, and Sirhowey. Acres, 16,210. Real property, £132,645,-of which £18,674 are in mines, and £56,500 are in iron-works. Pop. in 1801, 1,434; in 1831, 10,637; in 1861, 31,510. Houses, 5,724. The property is much subdivided. Very extensive coalworks and ironworks are carried on; and have, within the present century, drawn enormous increase of population. An old document, written when there was but one place of worship in the parish, records that one sermon in the month at it was allowed by the bishop on application of the inhabitants. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £150.* Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff. The church is a plain old building, repaired in 1859. The chapelries of Tredegar and Rhymney are separate benefices; and there are chapels for Independents and Calvinistic Methodists. Charities, £41.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bedwellty, in Caerphilly and Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd March 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bedwellty ".