Place:


St Issells  Pembrokeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Issells like this:

ISSELS (ST.), a village and a parish in Narberth district, Pembroke. The village stands on Carmarthen Bay, 3 miles N of Tenby r. station; and is a resort for sea bathing. The parish comprises 3, 740 acres of land, and 90 of water. Post town, Tenby. Real property, £9, 549; of which £4, 743 are in mines. ...


Pop. in 1851, 1, 784; in 1861, 2, 022. Houses, 403. The increase of pop. arose from resort for sea bathing, from the opening of a coal mine, and from the establishment of a blast furnace for iron. The property is divided among a few. Kilgetty was a seat of the Pictons, and is now a farmhouse. An export trade, in minerals, is carried on at Saundersfoot Pier. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. Davids. Value, £114.* Patron, the Chapter of St. Davids. The church is small; has a tall square tower; and was recently in very bad condition. There is an endowed school, with £15 a year.

St Issells through time

St Issells is now part of Pembrokeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Pembrokeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Issells itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Issells in Pembrokeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8789

Date accessed: 15th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Issells ".