In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described St Asaph like this:
St Asaph (formerly Llanelwy), parl. bor. and market town with ry. sta., Flintshire, and par., partly also in Denbighshire - par. (containing part of Rhuddlan bor.), 11,346 ac., pop. 3177; bor., 5¼ miles N. of Denbigh and 211 NW. of London, 1155 ac., pop. 1901; P.O., T.O, 2 Banks. Market-day, Saturday. St Asaph stands on an eminence in the Vale of Clwyd, near the confluence of the Clwyd and the Elwy. The see is said to have been founded, 'during his exile, by Kentigern, or St Mungo, founder of the see of Glasgow, from whose disciple and successor, St Asaph, the town and diocese take their name. The present cathedral, the smallest in Great Britain, dates from the close of the 15th century. St Asaph is one of the Flint District of Parliamentary Boroughs, which returns 1 member.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing St Asaph has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Denbighshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering St Asaph and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Asaph, in Denbighshire and Flintshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "St Asaph".