In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Arvans like this:
ARVANS (St.), a parish in Chepstow district, Monmouth; near the river Wye, 2 miles NNW of Chepstow r. station. It contains the hamlet of Portcasseg and the tract of Kingsmark, sometimes deemed extra-parochial; and it has a post office under Chepstow. Acres, 2,309. Real property, £3,703. Pop., 379. Houses, 88. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £53. Patron, the Duke of Beaufort. The church is an ancient structure, with an octagonal tower, and is in good condition. There are remains of two ancient chapels.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing St Arvans has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Monmouthshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering St Arvans and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Arvans in Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 07th May 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "St Arvans".