In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bothal like this:
BOTHAL, a township and a parish in Morpeth district, Northumberland. The township is called Bothal Demesne; and lies on the Wansbeck river, near the Northeastern railway, 3 miles E of Morpeth. Acres, 3,027. Real property, £6,895. Pop., 642. Houses, 122. The parish includes also the townships of Oldmoor, Pegsworth, Longhirst, and Ashington and Sheepwash; and its Post Town is Morpeth. Acres, 7,593. Real property, £5,510; of which £903 are in mines. Pop., 1,233. Houses, 241. ...
The property is divided among a few 'The manor belonged, in the time of Henry II., to the Bertrams; passed by marriage first to the Ogles, then to the Cavendishes; and belongs now to the Duke of Portland. Remains of a castle of the Bertrams, and of an ancient chapel of the Virgin, still exist. Coal is worked. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Sheepwash, and the p. curacy of Hebburn, in the diocese of Durham. Value, £1,357.* Patron, the Duke of Portland. The church contains tombs of the Ogles. A school is endowed with £25 a year.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bothal has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Wansbeck. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bothal and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bothal, in Wansbeck and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 06th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bothal".