In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Birtley like this:
BIRTLEY, or Birkley, a parochial chapelry in Bellingham district, Northumberland; on the North Tyne river and on the Border Counties railway, near Wark station, 5 miles SE of Bellingham. It was disjoined in 1765 from the parish of Chollerton; it includes the township of Broomhope and Buteland; and its Post Town is Wark, under Hexham. Acres, 6,720. Rated property, £3,428. Pop., 404. Houses, 80. The property is divided among six. Coal and other useful minerals occur. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £122. Patron, the Duke of Northumberland. The church is not good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Birtley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Tynedale. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Birtley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Birtley, in Tynedale and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 31st July 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Birtley".