In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Knutsford like this:
Knutsford, market town and par. with ry. sta., Cheshire, in N. of co., near river Birken, 7 miles NW. of Northwich, 15 miles SW. of Manchester, and 172 NW. of London by rail--par., 4931 ac., pop. 4859; town (comprising Nether Knutsford township and part of the township of Over Knutsford), pop. 4290; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks. Market-day, Saturday. Knutsford (supposed to have been originally Canutes Ford) is a town of great antiquity; it occupies a pleasant and healthy situation on high ground, and contains many fine residences of Manchester merchants. The town possesses a grammar school, established prior to the Reformation. The mfrs. of cotton, worsted, and leather goods are the chief industries. Knutsford par. contains the townships of Nether Knutsford, 793 ac., pop. 3895, and Over Knutsford, 967 ac., pop. 410.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Knutsford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Macclesfield. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Knutsford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Knutsford, in Macclesfield and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Knutsford".