In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wrottesley like this:
WROTTESLEY, a prebend in Tettenhall-Regis parish, Stafford; 4½ miles WNW of Wolverhampton. It contains extensive vestiges of an ancient city, supposed to have been Roman; and it gives the title of Baron to the family of Wrottesley. Real property, £2,871. Pop., 285. W. House was built in the 17th century, and was the seat of Lord Wrottesley. The estate belonged anciently to Evesham abbey; and passed to the Wrottesleys, in the time of Henry II., in exchange for Moreton.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Wrottesley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Staffordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Wrottesley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wrottesley in South Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Wrottesley".